End Poverty or Bust

Creating a Runway for Profitable New Multinational Businesses to Transform Poverty By Paul Polak Five years ago, Steve Bachar and I decided to create a venture capital fund that would only invest in companies capable of achieving three goals: Transforming …

Read More »

Only Business Can End Poverty

From CSRWire Talkback Three big reasons why business offers distinct advantages in addressing poverty By Mal Warwick This is the third in a six-part series on the fight against global poverty adapted from The Business Solution to Poverty: Designing Products and Services for …

Read More »

Achieving Scale

Scale is the single biggest unmet challenge in development and impact investment today. IDE, the development organization I founded, has helped some 20 million people living on a $1/day move out of poverty, but this is a drop in the bucket …

Read More »

Picture of the Week 2013-8-2

One company that has set out on the path described in The Business Solution to Poverty is d.light design, which was conceived in the Stanford course Entrepreneurial Design for Extreme Affordability. Solar lanterns like the one pictured here in Tanzania …

Read More »

Simplicity Brings Hope to the Digital Age

Seoul Digital Forum, May 22, 2012 Business leaders today spend all their time trying to serve the richest 10% of the world’s customers. We need a revolution in business thinking to create products and services for the other 90%, not …

Read More »

The Future Corporation

  by Paul Polak The Future Corporation will remain competitive in the global marketplace by creating vibrant new markets serving $2 a day customers at scale. Three years ago, General Motors, the biggest, most powerful corporation in the world,was brought …

Read More »